A few months ago, I got very into maximizing the speed of my website. I feel
pretty good about what I accomplished:
(I actually prefer the results from webpagetest.org, and not just because it show my site as loading even faster. It's open-source and seems to have a better methodology. But it doesn't generate as pretty a picture, so I went with the Pingdom screenshot above.)
My home page loads in well under a second, and transfers only 2.4kb of data. All of the pages in my site loaded their above-the-fold content without any blocking scripts or external CSS. Plus, my site is served of of Netlify's global CDN, so it attains basically the same speed for visitors from anywhere in the world. I was generally satisfied with that result, and stopped thinking much about my site speed.
Then, today, I realized that I'd let things slip a bit; I'd uploaded a few
images without giving any thought to compression, and a couple of pages were
much larger—and therefore slower—than they had any right to be.
So, I decided to fix that.